We know that many members have complained that they suddenly started receiving new floods of Gather emails last week, around the time of our photo album upgrade.Â The vast majority of the complaints refer to the group Gather Broadcasting (gatherbroadcast.gather.com).Â To anyone who suddenly started receiving email alerts last week regarding messages you received from Gather Broadcasting or any other Gather group, please pay close attention to the information we are seeking below.
First, I want to just clarify a few things that may be confusing to you.Â "Group mail," "broadcast messages," etc are really just regular private messages - the same kind that you would send to one of your friends on Gather.Â When you receive a "group message," you are really receiving a private message from an individual member within the group.Â You read these messages in the same Gather inbox that you read non-group messages.Â If a message is sent via a group, that group's name will be found in [brackets] in the message subject.
If you use the "Block Sender" button on one of these messages, you will block future mail from the individual group member who sent you that message - not all mail sent via that group.
The email notifications setting is the same for being alerted to a new "group" private message, as a "normal" private message not sent via a group.Â To control whether or not you are alerted by email when you receive any type of private message, you must go to your email preferences and uncheck the box next to "...when I receive a private message."Â The group-related email settings at the bottom of this page DO NOT pertain to the private messages you receive through a group like Gather Broadcasting.
Obviously, something happened last week that triggered a lot of members to start receiving email notifications (relating to group private messages) that they had not been receiving previously.Â If you are one of these people, affected by this, then please answer my questions below as completely as you can. If you're not sure about something, don't be afraid to say so.
1. Do most of your new email alerts pertain to the group Gather Broadcasting?
2. Have you been receiving email alerts about messages from any other groups, besides Gather Broadcasting?
3. For whichever groups you suddenly started receiving alerts about, can you tell me for certain if you were a member of that group(s) before you started getting the new email alerts?
4. Before you started receiving all the new emails, can you tell me for certain whether you had the box checked off next to "when I receive a private message" in your email preferences?Â Keep in mind we're not sure yet if this setting changed "on its own" for members.Â Think about how YOU had that setting set, prior to last week.
5. Regardless of your settings, do you remember if, prior to last week, you were actually receiving email alerts when you received a "normal" private message from someone?
6. We suspect some members may have been trying to control the Gather Broadcasting or similar email alerts with the wrong email settings.Â The correct setting is "when I receive a private message."Â If you attempted to TURN OFF the email setting for "when I receive a private message," did that stop the flood of new emails?Â Or what was the result?
The point of the last question is - if you had been receiving email alerts when your buddy sent you a new message, you should have also been getting alerts when a member of Gather Broadcasting or any other group included you on a broadcast group message.
Please post your feedback as comments below.Â The more feedback we can get, the better we can determine what caused this to happen.
by Chuck McGuire, Gather.com Member Support
March 12, 2007
Gather Broadcasting Group Email Problems
October 28, 2008 09:32 AM EDT (Updated: October 28, 2008 09:53 AM EDT)views: 1226 2 people recommend this comments: 50
More by Chuck McGuire, Gathe... view more
Find more about: member support team, member support, building a better gather, gather broadcasting, mail, email, group mail, broadcast message, broadcast messaging, private messages, private messaging, spam, email spam
Find Gather groups: !! In Character - a character development group for writers !!, !!!!KARMA ~ Whatever Goes Around Comes Around!!!!, (Fake) Tom's Army, *~M*I*N*D*G*A*M*E*S~*, *~Fluffin' 'n Puffin'~*, Bozo Awards, improve.gather.com, ChaCha Universe, *~*EVS = WHATEVER*~*, Gather Broadcasting, Gather Writing Essential, Get the point?, Hoosier Odysseys, I Love My Babies!, ~*~I'm Not a Number~*~, Isn't it about TYME?, Mother's Day: Everything MOM, Pictorial Odysseys, Point Reservoir, recession tips, Rob Appell, Gather's Head Pro, shrine of the secret recipe, Social Activity, ++TEXANS ON GATHER++, The Clutterbugs, The Gather Help Desk, The Sharing Place, TRIPLE PLAY - THREE FOR YOU AND ME, Triple Points, June 6-12, 2008, What's for lunch today?, ***The Elsie Duggan, Matriarch of Gather, Fan Club***
Please provide details below to help Gather review this content. If it is found to be inappropriate and in violation of the Gather Terms of Service, action will be taken.
Books | Business | Celebs | Entertainment | Family | Food | Giveaways | Health | Money | Moms | News | Politics | Sports | Style | Technology | Travel | Writing